The Wednesday Wikki
Posted By On January 28, 2004 @ 2:33 pm In Blog | No Comments
Today’s technology news.
The space shuttle Challenger exploded on this day in 1986 killing all seven astronauts aboard.
- The collateral damage from MyDoom continues to reverberate through email systems. As much as 10% of all email is MyDoom related  – either the virus itself or bounce mails from corporate and ISP virus filters. One of the targets of MyDoom, SCO, is offering a $250,000 bounty  for the virus’s author.
- The US Government is responding by creating an early warning system for cyberattacks . The Department of Homeland Security will announce a color coded alert system that should make us all feel much better about being flooded by virus related email.
- Word 2003 users should download a patch  that fixes more than 400 bugs. Office now has an update feature  that works just like Windows Update – probably worth bookmarking that and checking it regularly.
- Amazon has shown a nice profit for the year just ending , $35.3 million on revenue of $5.26 billion. This is the online retailers first full year profit ever.
- Me too, me too! Microsoft has released a beta of the MSN Toolbar  to compete with Google and Yahoo! offerings. Only one problem: it uses MSN for its search engine. Pew.
Article printed from LOL: The Life of Leo: http://leoville.com
URL to article: http://leoville.com/the_wednesday_wikki
URLs in this post:
 10% of all email is MyDoom related: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53096-2004Jan27.html
 early warning system for cyberattacks: http://news.com.com/2100-7348-5148708.html?tag=nl
 download a patch: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830000
 update feature: http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/mainCatalog.aspx
 nice profit for the year just ending: http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/3304861
 MSN Toolbar: http://toolbar.msn.com/
Click here to print.